I think its time to take a break from running and biking for a few days. Maybe I'll just swim and lift weights. For those who don't know, I absolutely hate the feeling of being limited by injuries from doing physical activities that I know for a fact that I can do with no problem. It rather makes me feel weak and out of control. I know I can do something, but I'm being held back by my body. I hate it.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Listen to your body
"Listen to your body". I've now heard it twice in the span of an hour. I really should do just that. Apparently, I managed to injure my left achilles tendon area and my right outer tendon around the knee during Saturday's 5k race. Today was my first running workout since then, and I had to stop at mile 5.5 out of my planned 7.5 miles. :( The knee is all right now that I'm not moving, but it was hurting enough to slow me to a crawl there at the end. As for my left leg, its awful painful to the touch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Joe, you don't live in your body - you ARE your body. Viewing limitations as failures or weaknesses only sets you against yourself and that mindset never ever works. (Trust me, I have DECADES of experience.) My advice (since you didn't ask) is to stop viewing your body as your enemy and start treating it better. Forcing yourself to train when your body needs a break will only serve to wear you down, add to injury and you won't see any benefit whatsoever from the hard work. You need to eat right, train, take breaks and SLEEP. You're not weak, a failure or less of man for having the drive and ambition to achieve your goals. But you will never cross that finish line by hating your body. Take care of yourself. Sleep isn't a weakness. Taking a day off a week isn't weakness or failure. Trust me. Once I stopped thinking of myself as living in my head and my body was my weakness, I got over what was holding me back in terms of health and happiness.
Post a Comment